Creative Writing Techniques
Revised / Updated: April, 2011
NICHE CATEGORY: CREATIVE WRITING TECHNIQUES (30)
Sub-Categories Include: Plot Ideas & the Structure of a Novel; Character & Viewpoint; Description & Setting; Inspirational; and Series 1 which includes Dialogue.
The problem with individual blog posts is that they are here today, gone tomorrow buried under an avalanche of other posts. So my aim, in creating the Index on my Home Page, is to give my faithful readers a One Stop Shop. Somewhere you can return again and again, knowing that what you need is readily available, easy to find and, apart from updates, unchanging. In other words, a resource that is always available to inform, inspire, encourage. I hope you will find it to be so.
I take it, as youve come to this Category on Creative Writing, that youre an aspiring author or established writer? I hope that you will find these articles to be of use to you, but also that other Niche Categories will serve as research for the books, blogs and articles you are writing. Links are provided, at the bottom of the page, to posts on Bereavement; Book Reviews; Divorce, Remarriage & Stepfamilies; Family & Parenting; with Personal Growth & Relationships to follow.
REPRINT RIGHTS: THE ARTICLES BELOW MAY BE REPRODUCED - ONLY WHERE INDICATED BENEATH THE TEXT - IN ANY FORMAT, ONLINE OR IN PRINT, ON CONDITION THAT THEY ARE UNALTERED, ARE FOR NON-COMMERCIAL PURPOSES, AND THAT THE FOLLOWING COPYRIGHT LINE AND BIO ARE CLEARLY DISPLAYED BENEATH EACH ARTICLE.
Copyright Mel Menzies: USED BY PERMISSION
Author of a number of books, one a No. 4 Bestseller, Mel Menzies is also an experienced Speaker at live events, as well as on Radio and TV. http://www.melmenzies.co.uk
Click on the links below. Please report any broken URLs
PLOT IDEAS, THE STRUCTURE OF A NOVEL, STYLE & TECHNIQUE (10)
- 84 Creative Writing Techniques: How To Find Ideas For Plots
- 109 Reviewing Techniques When Resolving Conflict
- 116 Creative Writing: How To Make Your Point Without Being Pointed
- 141 What is a good story? And what a good piece of writing?
- 142 To Be A Good Story Teller You Need To Understand What Makes A Good Piece Of Writing
- 149 Creative Writing As A Means Of Illustrating Compulsive And Obsessive Behaviour
- 154 Creative Writing Tips & The Definition Of Denouement
- 199 Creative Writing Style: Do You Have One?
- 209 A True Story: How To Ghost Write; Or Write Biography
- 247 Does Your Creative Writing Style Encourage A Relationship With Your Readers
CHARACTERISATION & VIEWPOINT (6)
- 187 How To Write Description In A Novel: Characters
- 189 How To Write Description In A Novel: Viewpoint
- 219 Conflict Resolution: Relationship Psychology & Creating Fictional Characters
- 220 The Drama Triangle & The Games People Play
- 226 Creating Character-Led Conflict In Your Novel
- 227 Fictional Characters With Personalities That Build Conflict
DESCRIPTION, SETTING (2)
- See, also, Characterisation & Viewpoint above
- 118 Descriptive Writing Styles: Conveying A Sense Of Place, Person, Personality And Mood
- 188 How To Write Description In A Novel: Describing Location
- 198 Authors: Tellers Of Tales, Weavers Of Dreams? Tap Into Your Childhood To Reveal And Nourish Hidden Emotional Creativity
- 213 Creative Writing: How, Where & When
- 190 Creative Writing Tips: Take Inspiration From The Poets
- 200 Creative Writing: Tips For Novelists On Priming The Pump
SERIES 1 (6)
The six articles which form this series may not be reproduced in any format without written permission from the author.
- 67 Writing & Publishing A Book: Ten Tips Before You Begin
- 76 Plotting Stories: Off-Topic Blogs May Be The Best Growing Medium For Your Budding Novel
- 71 Fiction - Main Characters & How To Choose Them
- 74 How To Hook Your Reader: Starting Your Story
- 79 Writing Your Novel: How Viewpoint Affects Show & Tell
- 87 Creative Writing Techniques: How To Write Good Dialogue
- BOOK REVIEWS
- DIVORCE, REMARRIAGE & STEPFAMILES (STEP PARENTING)
- FAMILY & PARENTING
- PERSONAL GROWTH & RELATIONSHIPS (inc. Personality Test & Drama Triangle)
BBC Radio Devon Interview
Listen to me chatting to Dave Fitzgerald about my latest release, Chosen, on BBC local radio.