Posts on related themes:
» Book Club / Readers Group
» Book Reviews
» Books, Reading & Words
» Life, Faith & Other Stuff
» Online Book Group
» Personal Growth
Mel's Online Book Club: Questions For: Faith In The Fog: Believing In What You Cannot See By Jeff Lucas
Posted at 17:53pm on 28th June 2014
FAITH IN THE FOG: by Jeff Lucas
NB: Page numbers below relate to Kindle pages
1. Time Trapped. 31-46
· Do we wish we could go back in time as the disciples went back to Galilee to fish? If so why? Isn’t our past shame washed away?
· Are we guilty of the ‘tokenism’ of territory and tradition? Is this what Jesus died for? Do we turn to clichés and slogans?
· Are we addicted to the ‘instant’; to ‘epic encounters’? Do we believe that revival would ‘fix’ our culture? That the path to glory is wonderful - unless it’s paved with pain?
2. A Broken Pier 47-72
· Is it true that ‘we can be quick to count ourselves in if there is news of judgement and punishment but rush to count ourselves out if there in…blessing, purpose or calling’?
· Does being a ‘new creation’ mean that we are instantly transformed?
· How do we ‘hear’ God? What about speaking in tongues / interpretation / prophecy?
· Is it possible to be a Christian and suffer from depression? Or are the ‘thought police’ right?
3. Behold, I Come Quietly 73-88
· What do we understand from the Henri Nouwen quote?
· Lucas says: ‘he (Jesus) let them work all night’ and, ‘instead of…solving the problem, he handed (it to them) to solve.’ Is this ‘abandonment’ what we expect?
· Does this ‘abandonment’ have a purpose? Do we ignore it at our peril?
4. Bringing An Offering of Nothing 89-106
· What sort of God/Jesus do we worship?
· What is the truth?
· Is it ethical to set boundaries?
5. By the Fire 107-126
· What do we understand from the Malcolm Muggeridge and Martin Luther quotes?
· Are we any good at receiving or would we rather give?
· Do you believe we are ‘addicted to shame’? How does that manifest itself in your life?
6. Let’s Eat 127-142
· Is it our aim, when we feel low, to want to be super-human? Why is this not good?
· What is the correct course of action?
· What does it mean to be ‘whole’: a Christian but also human?
· What is prayer?
7. Jesus, I Am Not In Love With You 143-158
· What do we think about some of the songs we sing?
· What does real love consist of?
8. Making God Look Good 159-170
· How does suffering strengthen trust?
· Have we made, or been on the receiving end of, promises that God will intervene, and then laid the blame elsewhere when he doesn’t?
9. Follow Me? 171-184
· Has anyone experienced what Hudson Taylor said about trust?
· Or the concept that, even in the fog of unanswered questions / doctrines, it would take more faith to walk away from faith than to remain in it?
10. Mind Your Own Business 185-
· Do we have an expectation that the church should be able to ‘walk on water’? Are we critical / dissatisfied with the church - ours, as well as others when it doesn’t?
· Do we have a sense of ‘unfairness’ when it comes to suffering?
· Do we *honestly* believe in diversity, or are we prepared to be offended?
· Have we experienced the Holy Spirit as ‘more than power…as personality…the Spirit of Christ’?
BBC Radio Devon Interview
Listen to me chatting to Dave Fitzgerald about my latest release, Chosen, on BBC local radio.